Alright as of today you have less than 2 weeks until that, what shall we call it… that magical day, or that hurry up and lets get it over with day. I know you are still out there shopping spending money, charging up those credit cards, but I want to share with you some very practical Christmas gifts, that would probably be more…. appreciated and used than those last minute bizarre items and ugly Christmas sweaters that you grabbed in desperation.
Here is just a few fantastic ideas that are simple yet practical gifts that will most probably 100 percent, be used and appreciated:
- Pay the gas/electric/phone bill for a month or two, or more
- Pay for a fitness class, a monthly gym, (Plant Fitness offers a $10 a month plan), remember promoting healthy lifestyles leads to lower medical bills
- How about a pair of walking shoes – walking is the best for overall fitness, and simple elastic exercise bands work wonders for muscle resistance and stretching
- Exercise balls and a simple video can help promote stability and improve balance for older adults
- Find a good book that fits their interest
- Low cost and practical cell phones – check out the Jitter bug phone
- Digital clocks – a timeless idea with wonderful 4” numbers is a very sensible and well thought out gift as your loved ones could use it in any room
- How about a mini bathroom heater to control the comfort during those nasty freezing winter days and nights
- CD’s are so inexpensive now a days and the oldies but goodies are making a comeback, and people love listening to music
- Take a trip down memory lane and put together pictures in a time frame
- Give the gift of time and of yourself, I remember growing up we made coupons for our parents to redeem (to help do extra chores or special request) and this also made us live up to our commitments for whatever the coupon stated.
Here are just a few coupon ideas for any age, just make sure you offer or make a coupon, so they don’t feel like they are a bother to you:
- Offer an older person the availability of rides to appointments or just to take them out for a drive
- How about cleaning a house, a basement or garage. (my sister turned 60 and her gift was, clean out your house and your basement coupons,…guess what, she loved it! She redeemed her coupons, we got together for a weekend and went through closets, cupboards, and every room, we ended up with over 30 bags and boxes going to a local charity and she got rid of items no longer needed in her home. We felt good for volunteering our time, she got a de-cluttered house and the charity got items they could pass on to others. A win win situation all around.
As you already know unwanted presents will end up being returned or sitting in a closet never seeing the light of day. Your practical gift will mostly certainly be used and appreciated.
Giving and receiving simple yet practical Christmas gifts is the best present all around.
This holiday season and throughout the year remember that family and friends are your most precious gifts. So in closing here I have to say that this is in memory of my mom and dad who taught me life long values and to believe in myself. Your presences are still with me. I miss you and love you.