I am realizing that I am not alone to the fact that there are thousands if not millions of people just like me that do not like taxes, having taxes taken out of their pay, filing those dreadful papers with the IRS and State, and having to get papers organized . …so it is my goal to find some practical ways to file free taxes, file my return and hopefully get a refund with as little work as possible and I want to show you how to do it also.
Finding online options for filing electronically has gotten a lot easier, yet the problem with most people is knowing where to start and what actually can be included in your filing.
So what do you need to do now to get your taxes completed and filed correctly? Check out these steps…
- What you first have to determine is if you need to file, and what are the proper forms to use for your status. There is a huge variety of situations that need to be considered in the end decision of: if you have to file, then taking into consideration such things as your age, what type of income you receive, if you have any dependents, your marital status.
For example if your income is less than $6,200 than you probably do not have to file.
- There are many deductions you need to consider as far as filing and if you should itemize or take the standard deduction such deductions include but are not limited to: prescriptions, medical, health, property tax, a variety of different interest amounts to be considered, business expenses etc.
- make sure you have all of your income forms such as of course your W2’s, any extra income recorded through a 1099, 1099R form, rental income, any miscellaneous income and unemployment income.
- then you have to figure out what form would be best for your personal usage, to get the best benefits and the biggest refund, the forms I am talking about include the Federal forms such as the 1040, the 1040A, or the 1040EZ. The 1040EZ is the easiest to use but should not be used if your income is over $100,000, yet you can not itemize on the 1040EZ. You would have to do itemizing on the 1040 form along with any adjustments.
- also you have to figure out if there are any earned credits that you qualify for, such as earned income credit, any dependent credits, any disability credits, etc.
- then you have to factor in the 1095-A Health Insurance Marketplace form….really?
So where can you get the help you need to file free taxes?
If you have a question that pertains to your specific needs, if you are doing this for the first time, if you are simply lost and do not know where to begin, or can not figure out what you need to do then is to check this out…
- For starters you can start with the official government website which holds a ton full of information. You could spend hours on the www.irs.gov site but the issue here is the fact that with all the many selections of details available and figuring out what is right for your own personal needs, things could get overwhelming. Some people start here but soon get distracted and lose their way and do not have a clear understanding of which way to file, if something can be file, claimed or not claimed.
- Another way to file free taxes that many people are finding quality results is with any of the online tax services that are available. These sites are easy to use, and give you step by step directions to follow. If you do get stuck you can get online answers to all of you questions and best of all the majority of completing your paperwork and filing your Federal and State is free (and depending if your filing is more complex than normal, than your filing price is very reasonable).
Let me get your attention here… your online tax filing will be free or cheaper than if you walk into a business in your area that only does taxes at this time of year, such as the pop up tax places or any of the payday places that claim they can do it for the lowest price. Beware, check out these community walk in places and ask them upfront what their fees are.
You do not have to be an expert to file free taxes, you do have choices, find and work with a reputable place to get your best results and a bigger refund.
My advise for you today…build your retirement!